Monday, March 14, 2005

 

Closing Down

This is the last post to this blog. I started this blog as, (I hoped), an opportunity to communicate with far flung friends. It seems that communication is not very high on their list, but I am enjoying blogging so much I thought I'd start another.

There is a nother reason. The blog was called "Home at the Hendels" and I hoped that Cynthia would participate. Well, while trying to leave a comment on Karen's blog she inadvertently created her own. Well, surprise, surprise. She too decided it would be fun. So she is actually going to post too. So if Cyntia is going to have a blog, then calling mine "Home at the Hendels" is redundant and "Home of a Hendel" doesn't have the same ring to it, in fact it sounds rather silly. Hence, it's time to start a new blog.

A more serious note about blogging. When I started using the Web in the 80s, little did I imagine how it would change the world. It started out pretty lame. Blogging is at the same stage. It will become a wildfire.

Blogging has several positive contributions to make to our society. Most, such as its use in politics(the Dean campaign), world events (the Ukraine revolution) have been well documented. Others such as the Iranian and Iraqi bloggers haven't. But there is another contribution that bloggers are making. The diaries of Samuel Pepys have provided historians with a unique perspective into life in his day. Correspondence between famous figures in history have provided insights into the thought processes that contributed to world changing events. Today there is a lamenting that historians of the future won't have letters or diaries to draw upon since nobody writes letters or diaries anymore. Well they can stop worrying. Thanks to bloggers they will have more than they could have wished for!

There is another facet to this. While academics bewail the death of conversation and community, lost to television and the tendency, at least in this country to isolate themselves as much as possible in their homes. Blogging is recreating the opportunity for conversation and community. I have been made especially aware of that at the CoffeeGeek forums. It really is a community of like minded people.


For those who care to have my new blog address just email me and I'll be happy to send it to you, but only if you promise to leave a comment; it is quite annoying the number of people I know that have visited this blog and never once left a comment. I'll leave this up since there is some material worth keeping and thanks to Google gigabytes are cheap:)

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Technorati search